Do you allow your kids freedom on consoles?
Do you allow your kids to play unfettered console games?Something I am interested in is the way different parents control the amount of time the kids can play console games. To be honest we run a pretty tight ship.
- Only allow during Friday, Sat and part of Sunday
- Max 90mins for 12yr old and 30mins for 6 yr old – then an hour or two break.
- Never allowed in evening when in school next day (stop playing 17:00 Sunday evening)
- Never play any age inappropriate games
- If bad losers then banning for a day
I don’t know if the above is too strict or not but what I do know is that it keeps the kids playing other games like board games together, they interact well with other kids outside and have a health appreciation for when they are allowed to play.
I know of a number of children in the circle of friends that play as much as they like the the kids are lazy, not well mannered and seem a little hyper and always seem needy of parents attention. The behaviour is also questionable as they also seem to be a lot more cheeky and have a lot more demands.
Douglas Gentile a developmental psychologist is on record as saying that spending to much time playing computer games has a negative and detrimental effect on children (see here)
- Kids usually play video games alone, and too much time spent alone can foster social isolation.
- Children who watch more than ten hours of TV a week don’t do as well in school as kids their age who watch less. When setting limits, it’s important to consider the total amount of time your child spends in front of all electronic screens — TVs, computers, movie screens.
So what do you as parents do? Vote on the poll below if you like and we can see how it pans out…
There are two polls, first is on time allowed to play and the second on age restrictions
Latest posts by The Working Dad (see all)
- Are new gaming trends introducing Gambling to children? - January 9, 2018
- Pay to Win – In Game Microtransactions - January 8, 2018
- Money Saving Tips for Xmas 2018 - January 7, 2018